Sunday, June 24, 2012

Silence will fall

Silence.


We had been talking about driving in England, the wrong side of the road; like in Thailand.  Conversation went to riding motorcycle in Thailand and how life threatening that feels like at times.  It was a bit of a walk to church, and so the conversations went on. 


Sitting in the sanctuary in silence felt really good.  There was the occasional squeaking of the chair as someone adjusted their position.  Ethan was starting to play with his breathing; going faster, then slower.  He could hear himself breathe, what a novelty. 


This was just my second time at a Quaker service.  These Friends of Jesus do silence really well.  It was something that I was longing for.  This sitting with others anticipating God to move and speak.  They do it so gracefully and with such a sense of longing for God; to know Him; to wait on Him.  


The week had been quite full, which had followed a stack of quite full weeks.  Orientation into the YWAM family, figuring quantities of food for large teams; shopping lists; rechecking budgets; meetings, and then more meetings; and then if I'm honest a few more meetings.   There was a lot of speaking thinking and re-connecting.  


Silence is luxurious!  


In the stillness God spoke.  He's whispering into my heart about his love, I respond with my longing for even more.  It's all in these silent moments that spaces of my soul are touched.  My eyes are tearing up, the tenderness of Gods words are echoing in my heart and like a balm to a wound they are healing me.  


Ethan is beside me turning the pages of his Bible.  Handing it to me he starts to play on my iPod; it's been about 45 minutes now.  I don't really want the time to end too quickly.  I lean over to Ethan and ask him if God has been saying things to him; he nods; and goes back to slaying those smiley pigs.


I turn the Bible to a verse that was shared with me this week; Philippians 1:9-11.
I pray that your love will keep on growing more and more, together with true knowledge and perfect judgement, so that you will be able to choose what is best. Then you will be free from all impurity and blame on the Day of Christ.  Your lives will be filled with the truly good qualities which only Jesus Christ can produce, for the glory and praise of God.


That's what this silent moment is about for me.  Growing in love with God.  Stillness as a means of growth; great practice of Sabbath rest!


The silence ends with the shaking of hands.  We share a meal; and walk home talking about prayer and positioning ourselves to hear and receive from God.  The silence was wonderful for my soul; and so now my prayer for you is that you also grow in your love for God, that you will keep growing, and that his constant pursuing will meet you in every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment