Saturday, October 31, 2015

My Dream Adventure

I used to spend Saturday mornings watching HGTV or DIY network shows.  I loved seeing the transformations and dreamed of having a home of my own.  One day, maybe, if my dreams still come true?

Hope builds so quickly in my heart.  

I spent the summer of 2014 looking at places, losing them to a faster bidder, or finding out that they really didn't pass inspection.  I would walk into a 'fixer upper' and dream about how I could make it our home. Well, I could, I just knew it.  I imagined all the things I'd learned on Saturday and how I could put my own spin on them here.  

In my life in missions I loved building homes!  I remember in 1994 being in a rain drenched mud pit, building a home, collecting rocks for the foundation and carrying bricks up the side of a slippery slope to build a family home.  It was crazy hard, but I loved that my labor was for something so significant, it was sacred.  Plus I love that I can say I know how to make cinder block in a mold (who does that). 

My turn came! I found a house, a deal that was only a miracle.  This great 1950's ranch.  If you look at my Facebook albums you'll see loads of projects.  

It hit me sometime during my Saturday morning that I hadn't watched any home improvement shows lately.  I was out on the ladder, painting my shutters.  I'd just finished the front door and porch chairs.  It'd be great to have a crew, like they do on the shows, to get the work done faster.  In the meantime I'm doing what I dreamed of, what I saw slip out of my hands, but I remained hopeful that I would have.  I'm a homeowner, I DIY... 

No comments:

Post a Comment