Sunday, May 12, 2013

Skipping past Mother's Day

First year Ethan comes to me all upset later in the afternoon.  'Mom! Dad is supposed to be here to help me'... tears of frustration.  Ten year old sweet heart who cuddles in my lap.  It's all good.

Fourth year yelling in Target that he can't find what he wanted; continued frustrations with the addition of hormones.  Urgh.

Our third year was the best!  We were in Thailand so basically skipped it :)  There was a card I think from school, but the celebration bit wasn't a part of the culture that we were living in.  Bliss for me

I like American culture.  I think it's great to honor and celebrate the ones we love and who sacrifice for us.  BUT for a 14 year old boy with some developmental delays it's a burden.  That's not the point of the holiday, I don't think.  At least I don't want to put that kind of expectation on my kid, kind of not the point of the celebration.  

Yesterday at one point Ethan turns to me and says 'I don't even know how to make tea (for breakfast in bed), can we just drive through for doughnuts?'  That's when it hits me.  This poor, albeit overly emotional, kid is feeling the pressure not the joy of the holiday.  

So, I tell him right there in very clear terms that we are skipping Mother's Day!  And we do!  Ethan slept in.  We drove through the fast food place that we never go to and avoid for the clown mascot.  They actually have an egg white sandwich (yum).  I make nacho chicken, Ethan's favorite pasta.  We hang out watching Netflix in the afternoon.  My child was finally at peace after stressing over this day for the last few days.  THAT was a gift.  I'll take it :)  

Mother's Day may become more of a celebration again one day, maybe?  Like when he's older and his wife helps him?  Until then, we're just going to keep skipping past this one.  I love being a Mom, and love my kid and my peace of mind way more than the expectation of perfect Hallmark moments.

Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment