Sunday, June 9, 2013

a new perspective from life in God's hands

I'm sitting here bored at work.  It's the kind of boredom that makes normal thinking difficult.  Like I ran up and down the stairs at lunch just to wake myself up.  I had someone tell me that my current position is like a paid sabbatical.  I'm grateful, but maybe should be a bit more.

Last year was a flat out crazy busy year.  Living in Thailand actually wasn't too difficult.  There were so many foreigners living there that getting Western goods was pretty easy.  The language was difficult, but that was expected.  I would normally mix in Spanish, German, Chinese, or any other word that I needed with Thai when I couldn't remember my vocabulary.  My Spanish definitely improved :)  Did I tell
you that I would ride my bike with a shade umbrella?  It was a couple miles round trip to my language classes, and I didn't have a motorcycle right away.  AND it was crazy hot out.  So, I made an ice pack to tuck under one arm, and held the umbrella with the other.  The street that I had to ride down was really dangerous.  Like people died on it frequently.  The stereo-type of the Asian driver in this town was correct.  Instead of just totally freaking out with each passing
car I sang songs, out loud, like a traveling performer :)  It steadied my nerves, and had a few people smiling each day.

Once I got my motorcycle there were other adventures.  I did feel safer at least moving at the same rate of speed as the rest of traffic.  I hadn't actually ridden motorcycle before.  I was the type of person who 'would never' ride one because they were so unsafe.  My friends let me borrow theirs, I was desperate for some independence so I took it.  First trip home from their house I ran up on the curb.  I didn't know how to take a corner :) I did that one more time before I
figured out how to lean into it.

There's that overused quote... Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away... That was last year for me.  I had a surplus of the moments that took my breath away.

I should be enjoying the boredom; but what I really love is breath taking; heart racing; good and hard moments where I know that my life is in Gods hands and it's all good.

Practicing thankfulness. 



No comments:

Post a Comment